Saturday, June 30, 2012

Arriving to the Perhentians with a beautiful sunrise


After a near missed overnight bus ride from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia I took a small boat to the Perhentian Islands.  Words cannot describe how beautiful the islands were.  Clear water, soft sandy beaches, and not many people.  It was a fantastic change from the bustling cities of Singapore and Kuala Lumpur but it also meant I was away from the internet for a while, hence the lack of update.  The islands only have power from about 7 pm to 7 am, though times tend to vary.  Like much of Asia, the Perhentians follow no set schedule.  Those expecting their snorkeling trip to start on time or receive their food in a timely manner would be greatly disappointed, but that’s just the pace here.  My accommodations were only 100 yards from the water and about $12 a night.  The rooms were very basic, just a couple beds and a ceiling fan, but when there is a glorious beach right outside, who cares where you sleep?


While napping on the beach this guy walked by about two feet from me
Isn't nature neat?

I went snorkeling for the first time which was amazing and the waters around the island were teeming with living things.  I saw sea turtles, sharks, rays, eels, barracuda and every color fish imaginable.  The guides were great and the trip lasted from 11 am until 5:30 pm, a full two hours longer than advertised.  As I said before, nothing is on schedule here and I love it.  I can rarely remember what day it is, let alone what time of day and it seems to be the norm.  


Stopped for lunch at a fishing village while snorkeling and
this little guy joined our table for a bit

I spent most nights on the beach meeting new people a drinking Orangutan, also called monkey juice, a local spirit similar to spiced rum I was told is only found on the island.  While no bars are open on the island during the day, two open at night and small tables and grass mats are laid out on the beach as well.  New friends, shared monkey juice, a few Chang beers, and nights swims on gorgeous island were hard to leave but the Full Moon Party in Koh Phangan, Thailand was calling.  



Sharing some Orangutan bottles on the beach with friends


I left the islands with a group of six other people.  While I started travelling alone, I’ve hardly had any time to myself.  It’s impossible to not meet people when you’re travelling and when you’re only with someone for a set amount of time before parting ways, there’s not really time for social awkwardness,.  Also, staying in hostels with a dozen beds in one room and a shared toilet makes things pretty personal very quickly.


So hard to leave this place

The trip from the Perhentian Islands to Koh Phangan involved quite the array of transport including multiple boats, buses, and trains, a walk across the border, and even a quick trip on the back of a motor bike.  We made it to Koh Phangan yesterday morning and after getting settled in a bungalow I’m sharing with a girl from San Diego, she and I decided to rent scooters to explore the island a bit.  After a few practice laps we made the journey to Haad Rin and arranged accommodations closer to where the Full Moon Party will be.  



The view from my balcony before departing the Perhentians

So far, Thailand has been fun, albeit a bit crazy.  Last night there was a pool party and tonight a jungle party, all events leading up to the Full Moon.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my gosh! Sounds like you are having an amazing time and from the pictures you have posted I am totally jealous! We will miss you at the Fourth party that is happening today but know you will be having even more fun than us!
    Stay safe,
    Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your blog. Safe travels.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete